When it comes to boosting fertility I like to suggest starting with the basics and ensure the body is really working at its best ability. I think the basics are all to often overlooked.
- I believe nutrition is one of the foundations to fertility. Nutrients are the building bricks to health and make everything work in the body.
- Ensure you are well nourished, eating nutrient rich foods and increase naturally fertility boosting foods.
- Minerals such as magnesium are key, many people are deficient. Stress and PCOS can affect levels. Magnesium deficiency can contribute to spasms in the fallopian tubes, making it more difficult for an embryo to safely implant into the uterus. Male fertility is also associated with magnesium deficiency. (Source: Magnesium Miracle, Carolyn Dean)
- However, it is all about balance with nutrients, you need to be careful not to imbalance other minerals by taking lots of magnesium. Work with an HTMA (Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis) specialist to help you balance your minerals.
- Herbal remedies can be particularly powerful for fertility, some provide a good source of nutrients, others have a role in balancing hormones. Red Raspberry leaf is a really good option to boost fertility.
Next, you want to ensure your gut is nice and healthy, so it can process your nutrients. As well as ensuring you reduce the bad bugs and have enough of the good bacteria.
Depending on your symptoms, you may want to consider increasing your stomach acid, in order to absorb your nutrients.
- Ensure your liver is happy and healthy. Liver supports are important for many reasons including helping the body remove toxins and excess hormones.
- Over the years we can accumulate toxins in the body (e.g. poor diet, excess hormones, alcohol, birth control medication, pesticides, cigarette smoke, infections such as candida).
- This build up of toxins can affect how well the liver works. If the liver is not working to the best of its ability, toxins aren’t removed via the bowels or urine, instead they can get redistributed in the body. This in turn may affect health and fertility.
- Preventing your baby from these harmful toxins is also important.
Very gentle liver supports such as castor oil packs, sunflower lecithin or whey protein maybe beneficial.
For optimum uterine health, it requires good circulation. This ensures the uterus is properly cleansed every month and that efficient hormonal balance is occurring. Specific herbs, massage and other techniques can help, such as castor oil packs on the uterine area.
Regular elimination from the colon is essential for detoxification and good health.
Balancing magnesium, potassium and sodium is key for constipation issues. I have plenty of other suggestions to help constipation if needed.
Please note: cleanses or detoxes are not suggested during pregnancy.