Taurine is an important amino acid, that has a host of wonderful health benefits.
Liver, detox & bile:
- Taurine helps make bile, so fats can be properly digested.
- It also helps detoxify the liver (e.g. helps removal of excess toxins & excess copper by increasing bile).
Taurine helps the balance of magnesium, sodium, potassium and calcium. Particularly sodium/potassium balance. It can also help to reduce toxic copper.
Taurine helps regulate blood pressure, heart rhythm & fat regulation. It also strengthens heart muscles.
- Taurine is an amino acid that has relaxing properties and it can assist in calming and relaxing the body from elevated levels of adrenaline.
- Taurine raises GABA, (a neurotransmitter in the brain) which calms the nervous system which can lower anxiety & stress hormones. Good for a whole host of mood issues (e.g.anxiety, hyperactivity).
- Taurine can be helpful for healing the gut, SIBO, IBS, IBD etc.
- Taurine can help lower histamine levels.
Blood sugar regulation:
Taurine helps insulin and glucose metabolism plus it may help some with weight loss!
Good for sleep issues, eye health, improves athletic performance and reaction time, insulin health & elevates energy production
Taurine is found in foods such as meats, eggs, fish and cottage cheese! However, many people need a supplement to top up their taurine intake.
As always, not all supplements suit everyone and taurine can cause detox and methylation issues. It also contains sulfur, so work with your nutritionist to see if it can help you.